Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Technology Lessons--WOW!!!!

Today was a red-letter day! Our group participated in video chat in the Live Classroom of WebCT. I continue to be amazed by the impact of technology on our lives. We could see each other and carry on a conversation, and it was FREE! I know the younger generation isn't nearly as impressed as us baby-boomers, but I remember $200+ long-distance phone bills from talking to parents and loved ones after I moved away from home. I remember when AOL chatting cost megabucks because subscribers paid by the minutes they were logged online.

This week is bound to just keep getting better and better. I will take some of my students to Anaheim (Friday through Wednesday) to a leadership conference and to compete in various skills competitions. Wish us safe travel and good luck! These are the extra-fun moments I am privileged to enjoy outside of the classroom. Tonight and most likely tomorrow night, I will be burning the midnight oil, trying to get assignments submitted early rather than later.

Blogging, I must admit, gets easier with each posting. Who knows, this may be the beginnings of a best-selling novel. :-)

2 comments:

  1. I can remember the first time my dad tried to get onto our computer. It was not a pretty sight. He got frustrated so easily and eventually had me create moms valentines card from him. We had had a computer since I was in kindergarten but dad had never used it.

    Technology is overwhelming for ANYONE who does not use it often. I have eighth graders that get overwhelmed in my computer class. It is not just the baby boomers. :)

    I am so glad you are learning and enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a stay-at-home mom for quite a few years while my four children were small, and during the years between receiving my Masters and re-entering the classroom, a technology explosion occurred. The last time I'd had a computer class, it was called Keypunch. We had a computer in my home, too, but I never found time to use it since my day consisted of laundry, cooking, playing with my children, etc. One day, my 6-year-old asked me to play a game with him on the computer. It involved using the mouse to move a player through a maze. I could not make the player move as intended, much less to the degree that my 6-year-old had mastered the game. He looked at me and said, "Mom, you're not very good at this, are you?" To which I replied, "No, but I will be." After that, during naptimes, I played that game until I could make the mouse move the player, and my computer re-training began. Today, I teach in the Business and Office Administration Department of a community college.

    ReplyDelete